Building A Log Cabin: One Smart Decision
1. Building a log cabin home involves increased levels of craftsmanship. The higher level of expertise needed to build log homes means they regularly have a higher appraised value than similarly sized conventional homes. Log homes sell for more on a square foot by square foot basis.
2. There are many stories of log homes surviving the worst mother nature has thrown at them, including the big 2005 hurricanes, Katrina and Rita. Unlike walls in traditional homes, which are just frames covered with insulation and drywall, log homes are solid wood. There are still-standing, still-occupied log homes in Europe dating back more than 800 years.
3. Compared to a cold piece of drywall, wood is warm to the touch. Logs also have something called thermal mass going for them; all that dense, solid wood is energy efficient, keeping temperatures inside the home comfortable year around.
4. If your log house is built and sealed properly, it will be very energy efficient. This means you spend less money on heating and cooling throughout the year. Many log home manufacturers create kits designed to be 15-20% more efficient than a conventional home.
5. Log homes are usually quieter than stick-built homes. Those dense logs have sound-deadening effects. That means you can block out everything from outside noises to your kid’s basement drum solos. No need for ear plugs, thank you.
6. One last benefit, is that it’s easy to maintain log homes and keep them free of mold, mildew, and insect infestations. In traditional homes, there are sealed wall cavities where everything from mold, termites, and rats can get in and thrive. Log homes don’t have those dank hollows. To inspect for problems, all you have to do is take a walk around your home and check out the condition of the logs. This makes it easy to catch problems earlier and get them taken care of before they become costly situations.
WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT US
“We would like to thank Performance Log Finishers for the wonderful job they did restaining our two story log home in North Carolina. The job went well from start to finish. The quote provided was in writing, and very detailed. Ian answered all of our questions promptly, and returned out calls quickly. The crew arrived early in the morning, and worked hard all day, every day. It amazed us how they continued with such a strong work ethic, despite very cold weather and even light snow. The crew finished on time, and the cabin looks beautiful. Thank you so much, Performance Log Finishers for a job very well done! So different from past experiences. We highly recommend you.”
— Walter and Natallie B.